Saturday, 12 January 2013

I've got bad news, and I've got bad news

A lot of things went on between November and now.  Work, Christmas events, my GP going on leave, ME going on leave, fear of the unknown but I finally managed to go to the doctor tonight and get my results.

I'm not at all surprised about what he told me; but it's not fun to hear it.

Result 1:  Your testosterone levels are so low you might as well be a woman.  In fact most women have higher levels than you do.

Result 2:  Congratulations, you're a Type 2 Diabetic.  Now, we're not sure how bad it is just yet, so get a glucometer and start measuring for 2 weeks.  Spread the readings out so you get a good distribution of numbers.

Result 3:  As a bonus, you also got your father's Haemochromotosis.

Result 4:  You're clinically (and visibly) obese.

Geez, doesn't get much better than that, hey?  Actually, there is a bright side.  Haemochromotosis is generally not picked up till men are in their 60's or later so I figure I got a 10 year head start on it.  The ferritin levels are not too bad at this stage, so it's going to be manageable (or at least that's the theory).

It wasn't that I doubted the doctor (did I mention he looks and sounds like Lewis Hamilton?); but I want a second set of tests while we're at it.

To be sure, to be sure

No comments:

Post a Comment